Cars are mechanical things, and, like all mechanical devices, they can experience trouble from time to time. Many people, however, don’t know a lot about the intimate workings of cars, so when they get in the driver’s seat, turn the ignition, and the engine doesn’t start, it can be a baffling situation.
Since a car is a complex machine, there could be any number of reasons why one won’t start. We’ve compiled a basic list of common car start issues for your reference:
- Your battery might be dead. This is one of the most common reasons a car won’t start. The good news is that this is a relatively benign problem to have and is often easy to diagnose with a jump-start. If your car produces a clicking noise when you try to start it, but then it revs to life after a jump, it’s most likely your battery is dead. All you need to do is replace the battery, clean the battery connections, and you’re ready to hit the road.
- Your car’s electric system might be malfunctioning. If you own a newer car, the electrical system is paramount to the car functioning. If the electrical components don’t work, the car doesn’t work. Pop the hood and take a look to see if any of the wires are disconnected or corroded. You can also check to see if the connections are secure by giving the wires a little shake.
- Your battery might be corroded. If you turn the key in the ignition and the car is absolutely silent, this is the most likely culprit. In order to fix this you’ll need to clean the battery’s cables or replace them.
- Your spark plugs might be bad. Spark plugs literally generate the spark needed to start an engine. If they are bad, corroded, or if they have moisture in them, you’re not going to be able to start the car.
- Your car might be out of gas. This seems like a very obvious issue to check, but many people end up calling mechanics to fix their cars when the real issue was lack of fuel. Make this the first thing you look at before calling in a professional!
If your car won’t start and you can’t diagnose the issue, contacting professionals like us at Downtown Auto Parts can help you get back in the driver’s seat quickly and efficiently.